Topic: Whatever you want!
Back into the
- Powerful way to extend client (& server)
- Goal is for 3rd party developers to extend client with plugins rather than creating separate client programs
- Users will be able to install plugins without even logging out
- Implemented plugin system
- MyWorld has no prims
- Studying approaches for creating efficient mesh out of CSG
- Goal is to replace prims with “Super Prims” – CSG
extensions are possible:
- Paint displacement map on top of the geometry (i.e., could sculpt a basic shape such as a cylinder into a much more complex shape without manually creating mesh)
- Efficiently bundle data into a single asset
- Some CSG algorithms (Dual Marching Cubes) can create very well optimized mesh
- Alpha and Beta will still be mesh only – CSG will be added later
- End goal is not just “Super Prims” – headed towards full voxel terrain support, same algorithms used for that too
– support for contact shadows & IES light profiles?
- Contact shadows give additional self-shadowing
- IES is standard format provided by real-world lighting manufacturers – describes the way a fixture scatters light
- Answer: Yes, will likely add support after beta (extremely accurate lighting high priority initiative as part of PBR support)
– Emmissive materials? (Objects that emit light)
- Answer: Likely yes, in future
– Translucent materials?
- Answer: Yes, will be supported
- Q (Zauberin) – support for contact shadows & IES light profiles?
– Support for web media on in-world objects?
- Answer: open issue, want to support but is difficult without bringing in very large dependencies
Servo is a promising possibility
- Experimental, fast & efficient browser engine
- Designed to be embeddable in other software products
- Early releases will not contain support for web media, but this will likely be pursued in the future
– Support for using images on the web as textures?
- Answer: These bring in a lot of issues – reliability, copyright, etc. Won’t be supported as a part of the core asset pipeline, but once web media support is added there’s nothing stopping someone from displaying web images on objects.
- Q (Zauberin) – Support for web media on in-world objects?
management compared to other virtual worlds
virtual worlds allow anyone with an asset’s UUID to freely use
it, making theft issues for creators
- Workarounds place extra burden on creators, add unnecessary load to server
much more restrictive – a leaked UUID won’t do any harm
- Whenever an asset is used, the party using it must have permissions to do so
- Current virtual worlds allow anyone with an asset’s UUID to freely use it, making theft issues for creators
– Support for a key value store for scripters?
- Could be used like a dictionary to share data between objects
Likely yes, but these are tricky and need careful design to do
- What about accessing assets from scripts?
- Answer: Quite difficult. Support planned since some time ago, but details not known yet – severely complicates script memory/resource use restrictions
- MyWorld is for game developers too, not just for virtual worlds – we don’t stop at “good enough,” we add whatever features we see as useful
– Bone physics?
- Support for realistic cloth/avatar body movement
- Answer: Yes, in future release